Sunday, May 15, 2011

Grand Canyon - Final post for this trip

May 9 & 10, 2011

Well we arrived at the Grand Canyon and ran in a weird mix of weather.  Lake Powell was warm and sunny.  Temps around 75.  As we drove to the Canyon the sky became partly cloudy and the temp had dropped to approx 50.  We were able take some photos and check in at the El Tovar Lodge.  Beautiful old place, rustic yet elegant. Just after we checked in the sky turned dark and it started hailing, then snowing.  Didn't last very long, just enough to accumulate somewhat.  Sun came out later and it melted.  Overnight the temp dropped to 22.  The next morning we took a short walk to shuttle bus stop.  There were a few steps down to the bus stop; however, there was black ice on the step.  My foot slid out and down to the next landing.  I heard a pop and knew that I had broken a bone.  Sue called 911 and an ambulance took us to the clinic at the Grand Canyon.  They confirmed that I had broken the tibia and fibula in three places.  I was then transported by ambulance 75 miles away to Flagstaff hospital.  I was operated on in the afternoon and I now have a plate and 9 screws in my left leg.

Hopefully we will be flying home on Thursday May 19th.  Not exactly the way we planned on ending this trip, but we plan next year to pick up where we left off.


Enjoy these pictures of the Grand Canyon.




This is the Colorado River taken with my telephoto lens.






This is the hail.  It came down pretty good, as you can see.

This was taken just after dawn the morning of the accident.  It was really cold, but awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment